Rhubarb, Lemon & Berry Muffins
We love cooking with fresh seasonal fruit and veg, and it's usually a budget-friendly way to cook as well! With the weather cooling, rhubarb is coming into season, and when it's baked or stewed, you can create a deliciously tangy-sweet flavour that makes a comforting treat.
We've incorporated rhubarb in this muffin recipe which is perfect for morning or afternoon snacks or warm in the microwave and serve with a dollop of ice-cream or custard for a yummy dessert!
Rhubarb, Lemon and Berry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
2 and 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 and 1/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly whisked
90 g unsalted butter
Melted 1 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup chopped rhubarb (chopped into 1 cm cubes)
1/2 cup red berries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (160 degrees C for fan forced ovens).
- Line a 12- hole muffin tray with muffin/cupcake liners.
- Place the flour, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter and lemon juice.
- Pour the wet mixture into the well. Stir until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Fold in chopped rhubarb leaving aside a little for the tops (about 1/4 cup).
- Spoon mixture into muffin liners till 3/4th full.
- Place leftover rhubarb pieces and seasonal chopped berries on the tops.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.